Thomas Plume’s Library was founded in 1704 under the terms of the will of Dr Thomas Plume, Vicar of Greenwich and Archdeacon of Rochester, who had been born in Maldon in 1630. He bequeathed to his native town his collection of some 8,100 books and pamphlets, to be kept in the building which he had constructed from the ruins of the old St Peter’s Church in the centre of the town, on the corner of Market Hill and the High Street.
The church building, which is owned by Maldon Town Council, still stands, very little changed, and still houses his books, kept on their original shelves, as well as his small collection of paintings. Although they may no longer be borrowed, books from the Library may be consulted without appointment during normal opening hours and the catalogue may be consulted online.
The Library will be closed for the period over Christmas and then again in January for stocktaking
Christmas – 24th December until 3rd January 2015
Stocktaking – 13th January until 3rd February 2015